SWA priorities for the new UK Parliament
11 Jul 2017
A SPIRITED INDUSTRY
Scotch Whisky Association priorities for the new UK
The Scotch Whisky industry is strategically important to the
Scottish and wider UK economies. Our industry boosts jobs and
growth, and supports a UK-wide supply chain. Scotch Whisky is our
global drink, enjoyed in almost 200 export markets.
- Supports over 40,000 jobs across the UK
- £4bn in exports; representing 20% of all UK food & drink
- Scotch is the single largest net contributor to UK trade in
- £1.7bn in investment across its supply chain, almost all in the
- 120 Scotch Whisky distilleries in total, boosted by new SME
- Ambitious environmental strategy targeting 80% non-fossil fuel
use by 2050
The Scotch Whisky Association (SWA) promotes the interests of
Scotch Whisky around the world, of our 67 member companies, and of
the industry as a whole.
Our priorities are to make a success of Brexit, secure a
sustainable and competitive business environment, promote open
markets and free-trade, safeguard Scotch against unfair
competition, and encourage the responsible consumption of
Ahead of the General Election, we asked candidates to
#SupportScotch by signing up to six commitments to boothe Scotch
Whisky industry and our UK-wide supply chain.
These commitments form the basis for the industry's priorities
for the new Parliament.
The Scotch Whisky industry is a UK success story, bwith the
challenges of Brexit and a tax burden nearin80%, this success
cannot be taken for granted.
The SWA looks forward to working with the new UK Government and
MPs from every part of the United Kingdom and from all parties to
ensure that the Scotch Whisky industry can deliver jobs and growth
in the years ahead.
- Reduce the 80% super tax on scotch whisky
- Deliver on brexit priorities to boost exports
- Promote competitive business environment
- Work with partners to reduce alcohol misuse
- Support investment in sustainability
- Boost industry with scotch whisky sector deal