How far we've come
The Scotch Whisky industry has been on a sustainability journey for more than a decade.
We first published an environmental strategy in 2009, detailing ambitious targets on emissions, water use and waste to landfill for the industry to collectively work towards. Since then:
- Greenhouse gas emissions in the industry have reduced by a third
- Primary energy use from non-fossil fuel sources has gone from 3% to 28%
- We’ve seen a 75% decrease in waste to landfill since 2016
- Water efficiency has improved by 22%
Our 2040 Strategy
The Scotch Whisky Sustainability Strategy was launched in 2021 and has the full backing of the SWA’s membership.
Together, the industry has committed to:
- Reach net zero in our own operations by 2040, five years ahead of the Scottish Government’s net zero target, and 10 years ahead of the UK Government’s
- Ensure that all new packaging is compostable, recyclable or reusable by 2025
- Improve our water use and make sure all companies are within a responsible usage range by 2025
- Working to conserve and restore Scotland’s biodiversity – including peatlands – and deliver environmental benefits by 2035.
Learn more about the Scotch Whisky industry’s strategy for Sustainable Scotch here.