Facts & Figures
09 Feb 2018
- Exports earned £139 every second in 2017.
- 39 bottles were shipped overseas each second.
- Laid end to end they would stretch about 30,000kms -
or about six times the distance between Edinburgh and New
- More than 10,000 are directly employed in the Scotch
- Over 40,000 jobs across the UK are supported by the industry,
7,000 of them in rural areas providing vital employment and
- Some 20 million casks lie maturing in warehouses in
- To be Scotch Whisky, the spirit must mature in oak casks in
Scotland for at least 3 years.
- There are 128 operating Scotch Whisky distilleries across
Did you know?
- Scotch Whisky accounts for around 20% of all UK food and drink
- Scotch Whisky is sold in around 200 markets
- Scotch Whisky sells three times its nearest rival whisky.
- Drinkers in the UK often choose to enjoy it with just a little
water, but in Spain they mix it with cola. In Japan Scotch is
enjoyed with lots of water and ice, and in China with cold green
The above figures relate to